Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thoughts on the 2006 Election

Some of my thoughts on the upcoming election are as follows:1)

My Status as a Card-Carrying Republican is still intact, although I am not so party-line as I once was. I think that the party's leadership has lost connection with much of my generation. It has made the mistake in foreign politics of speaking too loudly about our big stick (to allude to the better of the two Roosevelt presidents). It doesn't feel the need to be accountable as the majority party.
2) I Support Three Non-Republicans thus far in '06: Barak Obama (D-IL) for the Democratic Presidential nod, Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) for a Senate seat, and Jeremy Fisher (D-PI) for the local seat in the Maine House of Representatives. I also support Josiah Bartlett and Bill Pullman as president, but I don't think either has much of a chance.
3) The Economy is doing very well... why doesn't anyone care? I was young, but I remember such a loud trumpeting of economic boom in the 90s. Now that we've finally recovered and the Dow has set yet another record... hardly anything past the obligatory news brief.
4) Koiizumi is no longer the Prime Minister of Japan. It's Shinto Abe, who should be much cuter because he is the youngest post-WWII Prime Minister of Japan, but somehow he just doesn't cut it in the cuteness factor. Here are the two together:


...I'd also like to go back to my high school years and apologize for being overbearing and jerk-ish to people when it came to politics. Looking back, I don't think anyone really knew what they were talking about, so either whining or jerkishness seemed necessary in debate. Not cool... my apologies to anyone for any time I was a jerk to them.