Thursday, September 21, 2006

Two posts in one morning...

Today I am especially ambitious about writing and I would like to touch upon a few random topics which hitherto I have not had a chance to blog about. Here goes:

- Drum Lessons: I am giving drum lessons now - or will be very soon - and I am looking for more students. E-Mail me (michaeltperry@hotmail.com) if you are interested in learning.


- Junichiro Koizumi: Junichiro Koizumi is a small Japanese man who is quite cute, loves Elvis, plays the violin, and happens to be Prime Minister of Japan. He is right-center politically and has been Japan's leader since 2001. An example of how cute he is would be the picture below, featured in the "What's Up Around the Prime Minister" section of his Japanese/English website with the caption "Photograph of Prime Minister experiencing the acoustic-related technologies":




- Rockstar: Supernova: I don't know if anyone out there follows the second-tier reality TV show circuit, but Rockstar: Supernova was a pretty good. The highlight of the entire show, by far, was the House Band. They are tight to the point where it is a little ridiculous... I can only assume that this comes with playing with one another every day, but you have to think that there's something extra that goes into truly acquiring a tight group. I think back to the band that made me a high school rock star and the worship band I used to play in. In both cases, we actually weren't our best during the early days when the band was a daily obsession, we were better when we gelled either as musicians (former) or friends (latter).

I digress. Lukas Rossi won and he should never have made it into the top three. His rendition of the Killers' "All These Things That I've Done" when there were something like five contestants left was horrible (it sounded as though he was singing it whilst being impaled), but it didn't matter. It was clear that from about the third week, Lukas was the assumed winner by the band. For the record, Ryan Star, Tobi Rand, and Magni should have been the top three.


- Thailand: Why have I not heard more attention being called to Thailand in the past few days? Perhaps the news is going crazy about it (I wouldn't know; I don't have TV), but there is certainly no buzz about it around the water cooler. A bloodless coup d'etat just before elections were scheduled (October 15) staged by the military... so far, a new (Islamic) ruler has, taken from wikipedia: "cancelled the upcoming elections, suspended the Constitution, dissolved Parliament, banned political protests, declared martial law, and arrested Cabinet members." He claims there will be a new civilian government, elections, and constitution within a year, but who knows? Utter craziness...


- John Mayer: I really like John Mayer and I'm happy that he's now making music that shows his talent as a musician (see his newest album: Continuim). I have been listening to his things since I heard about him on a Dave Matthews Band web site... at the time he was an up-and-coming singer/songwriter in Atlanta and had maybe a dozen songs on Napster (that's right, folks, Napster). He wrote lovey dovey sappy songs with witty lyrics when I went through my 2003-04 lovey dovey sappy witticism stage ("Room for Squares"). He wrote songs about coming into the next phase in life when I was starting to really realize where my passions are and what I want to be ("Heavier Things") and now this new album. I don't know why I felt the need to make that Mayer's career-My life comparision, but for what it's worth, you can now all see that it's workable. FYI.