Thursday, September 07, 2006

Life Update...

So... my life in the five months since my last real post. I think a rambling and nowhere-near exhaustive summary of my life is in order. Here goes:

May:
Finished up at Bethany, though at the time we thought it would be for a three month summer vacation, so we packed up not nearly enough. Pat McCleary moved into our utterly cluttered apartment and managed to set it up nicely for himself. Rebeckah and I sadly said goodbye to the Woodards, Weidmaiers, and Erskines, all going off to internship adventures. We packed up and moved to Biddeford to live with Jason Briggs.

June:
Secured jobs working for a catering company on the weekends and Camp STRIVE throughout the week. At Camp we were day camp counsellors for young adults with developmental disabilities. So many great memories of the kids, and poor memories of the behind-the-scenes of direct care for people with mental handicaps. A bittersweet and extremely taxing (both physically and emotionally) profession.

July:
Same old same old in Biddeford. The highlight of the month was Rebeckah's birthday present for me this year... a train ride to Boston and tickets for a Red Sox game. Though they lost big to the Oakland A's (there you go, Mr. Kendrick), just being at Fenway was an excellent experience. We sat in right field, not too far from the Pesky Pole, close enough to see Jay Payton's arrogant sneer as he robbed the 'Sox of no less than three doubles in one day.

August:
Well... we decided not to return to Bethany. Many, many things went into this decision, but above all, we felt the Lord releasing us from Sussex and calling us to go back home. We both apply for transfers - Rebeckah as a early childhood development major at NMCC, me as a history major at UMPI. Our first anniversary was spent at the absolutely fabulous Captain Lord Mansion Inn in Kennebunkport. You must stay here before you die. Probably twice. The wonderful weekend went above and beyond to aleviate the stress of the Red Sox dropping five games in a row to the Yankees. Maybe now the bandwagon fans will go back to where they came from.

The last weekend in August went like this:
Friday: Worked from 9-4 at the camp. Threw ourselves a going-away BBQ. Drove the Metro, packed with our things from the summer, and drove six hours to Presque Isle. Spent the night at the good ole in-laws house.

Saturday: Got up at 5:30AM and went with Rebeckah and June to Sussex. Packed up boxes all day. Steve and Nic arrived that night and we packed up a U-Haul and a SUV. We finished at 11:30PM and managed to pack all of our worldy possessions minus our trash can, RIP (August '04-August '05).

Sunday: "Slept in" until 6:30 AM and drove back to Presque Isle. Moved into our apartment. Unpacked boxes all evening.

Monday: Went to my first class, Art 103, 10-11:50AM.

September:
So far, so good. My class schedule is very random... History 491, Geology, Art 103, and English 101. One day I feel slightly over my head in academia and the next, as though I've gone back to English 2 in high school. Regardless, everything thus far has been new, refreshing, and envigorating. I have acquired a little extra spring in my step, and if I can manage to stay on top of my work, I think this will be a watershed semester for me.

...and now you're up to speed. Holla.
- Michael